november 27, 2021

By admin 0

CrossFit Queen Creek – CrossFit

Metcon (Time)

Roberts Ridge

For Time

10 Clean & Jerk (185/115 lb)

20 Kettlebell Swings (70/53 lb)

30 Thrusters (95/65 lb)

40 Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups

50 Over-the-Bar Burpees

60 Wall Ball Shots (20/14 lb)

70 calorie Row
Background: In March 2002, a combined task force began Operation Anaconda against Al Qaeda and Taliban forces in the Shahi Kot valley in eastern Afghanistan. During this campaign, a small U.S. force fought a 17-hour intense battle against enemy forces on the mountaintop of Takur Ghar, which came to be known as Roberts Ridge.

At about 1 a.m. on March 4, Razor 3, a U.S. Army MH-47E helicopter tried to insert a special operations team on top of an enemy stronghold. While landing, it was hit by RPG rockets and gunfire, causing U.S. Navy SEAL Neil Roberts to fall from the helicopter. With the MH-47E heavily damaged, the aircrew made an emergency landing about three miles away. USAF Combat Controller Tech. Sgt. John Chapman, a member of the team, began coordinating close air support and a rescue effort to retrieve Roberts. Another helicopter, Razor 4, picked up the team and took them back to rescue Roberts on the 10,000-foot mountaintop.

After landing, Chapman advanced on an enemy position, killing two of the enemy. When the team became pinned down by fire from three directions, Chapman broke cover to rush another enemy position, but was killed. His action saved the lives of the team by allowing them to break contact and move down the mountain away from the ambush. Chapman was posthumously awarded the Air Force Cross.

About an hour later, another helicopter, Razor 1, arrived carrying a Ranger team and four Air Force personnel — Staff Sgt. Kevin Vance (who was attached to the Rangers), Staff Sgt. Gabe Brown, Tech. Sgt. Keary Miller (a PJ from the 123rd Special Tactics Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard) and Senior Airman Jason Cunningham. As it landed, Razor 1 was hit with multiple RPG warheads and riddled with machine gun fire that killed or wounded several of those onboard.

Cunningham, a PJ, began administering trauma care and moving the wounded out of the burning helicopter. For several hours, and without regard for his safety, Cunningham returned fire an